Has A Court Ruling Opened The Possibility of Parole for Vladislav Chelakh?
Photo: Orda
Kazakhstan Constitutional Court Removes Parole Ban for Certain Life Sentences
The Constitutional Court has declared unconstitutional a Criminal Code provision that prohibited parole for individuals whose death sentences were replaced by imprisonment, Orda.kz reports.
The court stated that the death penalty is not applied in Kazakhstan and that all references to it have already been removed from criminal and penal legislation.
Keeping a prohibition in the code tied to a non-existent type of punishment was found to be contrary to the Constitution. In line with this decision, the provision — subclause 1) of part 8 of article 72 of the Criminal Code — was removed under the law of July 16, 2025, amending criminal legislation.
As a result, there is no longer a special ban on parole for this category of convicted persons. Their applications for early release are now considered on the same basis as other incarcerated persons, under the rules of Article 72.
Since Kazakhstan’s independence, 73 people have received the death penalty as a punishment. Among the most well-known are Vladislav Chelakh and Ruslan Kulekbayev.
In 2012, 15 people — 14 servicemen and a ranger — were killed at the Arkankergen border post. For this crime, 19-year-old private Vladislav Chelakh was sentenced to life imprisonment. He initially confessed to the killings but later retracted his testimony, saying the outpost had been attacked by unknown individuals.
Debate over Chelakh’s guilt continues, with some viewing him as a victim and others as a cold-blooded killer. In December 2022, he sent a letter to the president promising to reveal “the whole truth,” but he has refused to speak with journalists or human rights activists.
Almaty shooter Ruslan Kulekbayev is held in the Black Berkut facility.
On July 18, 2016, he carried out an armed attack on the Almaly District Department of Internal Affairs, the National Security Committee Department, and the Tax Department, killing nine people and wounding four in under an hour.
His actions were classified as a terrorist act, and he was sentenced to death. Due to the moratorium, the sentence was replaced with life imprisonment.
Original Author: Artyom Volkov
Latest news
- Kazakhstan Has Almost Three Times More Old Cars Than New Ones
- Businesses Warn Unfinished Cargo Document System Could Lead To Unfair Fines
- Kazakhstan To Mine More Coal Despite Green Energy Pledges
- Astana LRT Finally Opens After Years Of Delays
- Kazakhstan Delivers Humanitarian Aid To Iran
- Oil Market Volatility And A Stronger Dollar — Kazakhstan’s Week In Review
- Authorities To Tighten Astana Development Rules
- “We Need A Year Of Observation” — Talks On Kazakhstan’s Balkhash Nuclear Power Plant Held In Moscow
- Parking In Astana To Become More Expensive
- Kazakhstan To Launch Artificial Rainfall Project
- Kazakhstan’s Health Ministry Admits Medicine Supply Disruptions
- Center Of Turkic Civilization To Be Built In Turkestan
- Who Will Be Able To Join Halyk Kenesi, Parliament Says
- The OTS Seeks Influence — Can The Turkic Union Become A Real Political Player?
- Astana Records 1,500 Traffic Violations A Day, Akimat Says
- “Not A Military Alliance, But A Platform For Cooperation” — Tokayev Speaks At OTS Summit In Turkestan
- Who Will Be Able To Create New Regions In Kazakhstan? Parliament Defines Powers
- Nazarbayev’s Grandson, Freedom Founder And Ordabasy’s Future Owner Among Kazakhstan’s Youngest Richest Businessmen
- Deputy Says Salary Is Not Enough, Asked His Wife To Work
- Kazakhstan Is Buying Fewer Drones, But Paying More For Them