Lawsuit Pushes Oskemen Authorities to Adopt New Alert Rules After Kazzinc Explosion
Photo: eyewitnesses
Oskemen Akim Almat Akyshov has agreed to introduce binding rules for promptly notifying residents about industrial emergencies. The commitment followed a lawsuit filed by lawyer Alexey Bozhkov after authorities failed to alert the public about the Kazzinc plant explosion, an Orda.kz correspondent reports.
The dispute began after an explosion was heard near Oskemen’s industrial zone on the morning of May 5. Residents saw a large cloud of dust rising over the city, and eyewitness videos quickly appeared online. However, neither the akimat nor other authorities issued an immediate public warning.
The city continued its normal routine. Children went to schools and kindergartens, and physical education classes were held outdoors. The East Kazakhstan Region Ecology Department initially said there was no cause for concern. Some parents nevertheless kept their children home, while other residents left the city.
Two months later, environmental officials disclosed that the explosion had released 2.8 tons of zinc dust into the atmosphere.
Bozhkov subsequently sued Akyshov in his capacity as the city’s head of civil defense.
This was not the lawyer’s first case against the city authorities. He previously sued former Oskemen Akim Zhaksylyk Omar after residents were not warned about a significant increase in hydrogen chloride levels in the air. According to Bozhkov, the authorities failed to learn from that case.
The East Kazakhstan Region Specialized Interdistrict Administrative Court considered his claim challenging the akim’s inaction and seeking mandatory procedures for informing residents about industrial emergencies.
The parties ultimately reached a settlement, which they submitted to the court for approval.
Under the approved settlement, the akim of Oskemen undertook to develop and approve binding regulations for informing the public about industrial emergencies at hazardous facilities by July 30, 2026,the court’s press service said.
Under the new rules, residents must be notified promptly when an emergency occurs. Authorities must provide updates as details become available, issue further alerts when new information emerges and use all available channels, including official websites and the media.
The court ruling has not yet entered into force. Bozhkov plans to request judicial oversight within 15 days to determine whether the requirements have been fulfilled.
Original author: Elena Medvedeva
Read also:
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Credit Rating Upgraded for First Time in a Decade
- While Thousands Lost Power, KEGOC Executives Received Nearly Half a Billion Tenge
- Changi Airport Group May Help Build Astana’s New Airport
- US Again Extends Deadline for Lukoil to Sell Its Assets in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Extradites Business Manager From Russia in 290 Million Tenge Tax Case
- Released Amur Tiger Successfully Hunts in Kazakhstan’s Wild
- Kazakhstan Moves to Develop Critical Minerals as Global Competition Intensifies
- Another Performance by Kazakh Stand-Up Comedian Called Off
- Uzbekistan Begins Preparations for Second Nuclear Power Plant
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity