Former Majilis Deputy Says She Was Stripped of Mandate After Criticizing Authorities
Photo: RFL/RE
Former Majilis deputy Gaukhar Tanasheva stated that she was effectively forced to resign from the lower house of parliament, Orda.kz reports.
In an interview with Azattyq TV, she said the conflict began after her final parliamentary inquiry, in which she addressed the difficulties faced by ordinary citizens and the lack of genuine connection between the public and the government. According to her, neither the Majilis nor the party approved of the topic.
Tanasheva claims she waited months for responses to her inquiries and was not even allowed to read the final document. She said the party refused to give its consent, and the text was passed on to Deputy Speaker Albert Rau.
"He told me, 'You're not going to read this," the former deputy recalls.
She said she decided to speak out publicly.
After that, she claims, the bureau made a decision and sent it to the Central Electoral Commission, which announced that her powers had been terminated.
"I was removed retroactively," Tanasheva says.
She maintains that she should have been present at the bureau meeting to express her position, but was denied the opportunity. According to her, the Majilis functions according to a strict script: the “government hour” is predetermined, including who speaks and what questions are asked.
If you're a minister, you're given answers in advance. If you're a member of parliament, you're given questions in advance. After that, there's a 'great, wonderful' meeting,
she said.
Tanasheva believes that deputies raise issues, but ministries act independently, without a unified approach or real cooperation.
Earlier this year, the Central Election Commission officially stripped Gaukhar Tanasheva of her parliamentary powers. The document, signed by CEC Chairman Nurlan Abdirov, stated that the decision was based on Article 52 of the Constitution and the Law on Parliament.
The rationale cited a resolution issued by the Bureau of the People's Party of Kazakhstan on December 23, 2024.
Previously, we reported that Tanasheva took part in a parliamentary inquiry concerning the protection of victims of credit fraud. Deputies called for changes so that banks, rather than clients, are recognized as victims in such cases.
They cited Interior Ministry data showing illegally issued loans totaling 7.5 billion tenge and noted that currently, victims — especially pensioners — are forced to repay the debts themselves. The inquiry criticized the weak response to fraud and poor coordination between agencies.
Original Author: Ruslan Loginov
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Credit Rating Upgraded for First Time in a Decade
- While Thousands Lost Power, KEGOC Executives Received Nearly Half a Billion Tenge
- Changi Airport Group May Help Build Astana’s New Airport
- US Again Extends Deadline for Lukoil to Sell Its Assets in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Extradites Business Manager From Russia in 290 Million Tenge Tax Case
- Released Amur Tiger Successfully Hunts in Kazakhstan’s Wild
- Kazakhstan Moves to Develop Critical Minerals as Global Competition Intensifies
- Another Performance by Kazakh Stand-Up Comedian Called Off
- Uzbekistan Begins Preparations for Second Nuclear Power Plant
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity