Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
Photo: @nelliksun
Relatives of a man who disappeared 19 years ago have contacted investigators after human remains were recovered from the Severtsov Glacier in the Almaty region, Orda.kz reports.
The man’s daughter said in an Instagram story that a friend sent her a photograph of the backpack found with the remains.
I immediately realized it was my father’s backpack because it was an old Soviet frame backpack,she said.
The family contacted the investigator and provided surviving documents and photographs, including images of the missing man carrying the backpack. The investigator later told them that a certificate bearing her father’s name had been found inside it.
Belarusian hikers reported finding the remains near the glacier on August 19. They sent emergency services the coordinates, photographs and video from the site.
Emergency Situations Ministry personnel recovered the body from the high-altitude area and transferred it to the Almaty Region Police Department.
The backpack and document indicate that the remains may belong to the man who disappeared 19 years ago. Police have not yet announced the results of a formal forensic identification
Original author: Alina Kostina
Read also:
Latest news
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity
- Amur Tiger Umit Adapts to Life in the Wild in Southern Balkhash
- Former Orda.kz Editor-in-Chief Gulnar Bazhkenova Sentenced to Eight Years
- Archaeologists Study 1,500-Year-Old Settlement in Southern Kazakhstan
- Kyrgyzstan Confirms Generator Failure but Rejects Blame for Almaty Blackout
- Kokshetau Power Plant Shifts to Domestic Financing and Chinese Equipment
- Kazakhstan May Have to Choose Between US and Chinese AI Initiatives
- Kazakhstan Still Unable to Resume Druzhba Oil Exports to Germany
- Major Blackout Hits Much of Central Asia
- “He Was Not Ready”: Japarov Drops Plan to Back Tashiev and Will Seek Re-Election