Lavrov Claims Russia Ready for Ukraine Deal Amid Ongoing Strikes
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov told CBS that Moscow is "ready to reach a deal" with the U.S. on Ukraine, though some elements still need to be “fine-tuned," Orda.kz reports.
He said President Trump believes the sides are “moving in the right direction.”
His comments followed Russia’s deadly missile strike on Kyiv, even as President Trump advances a ceasefire proposal.
When asked what made it worth killing civilians after Ukraine had said in March that it's ready for a ceasefire, Lavrov responded:
We only target military goals or civilian sites used by the military.
Lavrov said there are “signs we’re moving forward” and praised Trump as “probably the only leader” addressing the root causes of the war.
Trump, in a Truth Social post, criticized the strikes as “very bad timing” during peace efforts, telling Putin, “Vladimir, STOP!”
Vice President JD Vance warned on Wednesday that the U.S. may withdraw from talks if an agreement is not reached soon. Secretary of State Marco Rubio has made a similar claim, which Trump later repeated.
The proposed deal would freeze conflict along current front lines, with Russia still occupying about 18% of Ukraine. Meanwhile, some European allies worry the U.S. is pressuring Ukraine without demanding concessions from Russia.
After reports surfaced alleging that recognizing Crimea, occupied by Russia since 2014, as Russian would be a part of a peace deal, Trump claimed it had been "lost years ago."
Trump also said the U.S. is pressuring Russia but didn’t clarify how.
Joining the President on Thursday at the bilateral meeting with Norway's Prime Minister in the Oval Office, Marco Rubio claimed, “This war is endable,” noting progress in recent meetings and calling the missile strikes a reminder of why peace is urgent.
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Credit Rating Upgraded for First Time in a Decade
- While Thousands Lost Power, KEGOC Executives Received Nearly Half a Billion Tenge
- Changi Airport Group May Help Build Astana’s New Airport
- US Again Extends Deadline for Lukoil to Sell Its Assets in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Extradites Business Manager From Russia in 290 Million Tenge Tax Case
- Released Amur Tiger Successfully Hunts in Kazakhstan’s Wild
- Kazakhstan Moves to Develop Critical Minerals as Global Competition Intensifies
- Another Performance by Kazakh Stand-Up Comedian Called Off
- Uzbekistan Begins Preparations for Second Nuclear Power Plant
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity