Georgia’s Security Service Says No Evidence of “Kamit” After BBC Report
Photo: Ill. Purposes, Photo: Georgian pro-democracy protests in Tbilisi, 2024. Date: 28 April 2024, 21:50:30 Source: Own work Author: Kober
Georgia’s State Security Service (SSG) has stated that it found no evidence of the chemical agent “kamit” allegedly used during the dispersal of protests in late 2024, Orda.kz reports, citing The Caucasian Knot.
Relatives of political prisoners gathered outside parliament, calling on authorities to disclose the names of any substances used against demonstrators. The protests have now entered their 374th day, following the government’s decision to suspend EU accession talks.
According to Lasha Magradze, the SSG’s first deputy head, the Ministry of Internal Affairs never purchased “kamit” — a substance last known to be used during World War I. He said an examination had been conducted on materials seized from law enforcement agencies.
Magradze noted that more than 160 investigative actions have been carried out, and 93 people questioned, including current and former Interior Ministry staff, doctors, experts, respondents featured in the BBC report, and NGO representatives.
Documents were also seized from the Interior Ministry and the Revenue Service’s customs department.
Tests confirmed that the chemical powder acquired by the Interior Ministry and used for crowd control over the years is chlorobenzylidene malononitrile, he said, referring to a common tear gas agent.
Background
Opposition parties, activists, and student groups previously announced a large march on December 6, demanding an international probe into the alleged use of chemical agents during the November–December 2024 crackdown.
The SSG launched an inquiry after a BBC investigation suggested that harmful substances may have been deployed at anti-government rallies in Tbilisi. Authorities strongly rejected the report, with Prime Minister Irakli Kobakhidze calling it a “planned provocation,” accusing foreign intelligence services of attempting to reignite protests and undermine the government.
Daily protests have continued for two years with demands for new parliamentary elections and the release of detainees. After police blocked attempts to close Rustaveli Avenue in November, pro-EU demonstrators shifted to daily marches through central Tbilisi.
Despite the SSG announcing that the “kamit” claim is closed, Kobakhidze said the government would continue investigating what he called “the provocation” surrounding the BBC report.
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Parliament Adopts Several Constitutional Laws
- Will the $10 Billion Boeing and Airbus Deal Hit Kazakhstan’s Aviation Sector?
- Russia’s New Entry Rules Could Complicate Travel for Kazakhstanis
- Dog Meat Allegedly Found Near Astana Sparks Public Outcry
- Imported Chocolate, Cocoa and Optics Have Risen Sharply in Price in Kazakhstan
- A Chinese Oil Company Was Fined Almost Half a Billion for Drilling Waste in Mangistau
- Pilots Top Kazakhstan’s Salary Expectations as Job Market Activity Rises
- Launch of Stadler Railcars in Kazakhstan Delayed Again Over Safety Concerns
- Kazakhstan and Kenya Prepare to Sign Cooperation Agreements
- Kazakhstan to Shut Down 3G Networks Across the Country
- Tokayev Signs Amendments on Responsible Treatment of Animals
- Kazakhstan Promises High Tariffs to Attract Investors for New Gas Power Plants
- Kazakhstan Spent $4 Million to Evacuate Citizens from the Middle East
- Astana Preparing for New Second Airport: Most Likely Location Revealed
- Government Reviews Tax Relief Measures for Businesses Amid Growing Administrative Pressure
- Kazakhstan Plans Direct Flights to Tokyo and New York
- Kazakhstan Airports Test Biometric Check-In That Replaces Passenger Documents
- Akimats May Get Right to Subsidize Domestic Flights in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Promises Personalized Free Medicine System by 2027
- Astana Residents Urged Not to Interfere With LRT Operations After Passenger Surge