Kazakh MFA: Citizens Evacuated from the Middle East via Oman and Saudi Arabia
Photo: elements.envato.com
Against the backdrop of a sharp escalation in the Middle East and the closure of airspace in a number of countries, Kazakhstan is organizing the evacuation of its citizens via overland routes, Orda.kz reports.
Deputy Foreign Minister Alibek Bakayev announced this at a government briefing.
According to him, a Flydubai flight operated yesterday for Kazakhstanis who had purchased tickets before February 28 but were unable to fly on March 1 and 2. In general, the UAE has closed its airspace. Many airlines have suspended flights, but carriers are still allowed to fulfill their obligations to passengers, so the flight went ahead.
This applies only to citizens with previously purchased tickets. Kazakhstanis who are in transit without tickets, as well as those living in the UAE and Qatar, are being evacuated via neighboring countries.
A number of citizens of Kazakhstan who are in transit without tickets, and a number of citizens of Kazakhstan who live in the United Arab Emirates and Qatar — as we reported yesterday — will be evacuated through two neighboring states. This is the Sultanate of Oman: the first convoy of buses with our citizens departed Dubai today. By the end of the day, we plan to bring 467 citizens of Kazakhstan from the Sultanate of Oman back to Kazakhstan.he said.
The second route runs through Saudi Arabia. Citizens in Qatar will be taken by bus to Riyadh and then to Jeddah. From there, they will be sent home on flights operated by Kazakh airlines.
Separate work is underway on Iran. People are being evacuated overland via Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkmenistan. Following talks between Kazakhstan’s foreign minister and his counterparts, Turkmenistan has allowed border crossings. Eighteen Kazakh citizens who were in Gorgan, in northern Iran, have already been taken out through Turkmen territory.
Transport Minister Nurlan Sauranbayev said Kazakhstan is ready to deploy up to six aircraft (Air Astana and SCAT) as soon as air corridors reopen. In total, around 5,000 Kazakhstanis are expected to depart.
Evacuation routes:
- From Dubai — via Oman
- From Qatar — via Saudi Arabia
- From Iran — overland via Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, and Armenia
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs continues to coordinate the evacuation and is negotiating with neighboring states to ensure the safe return of citizens.
Original author: Ilya Astakhov
Read also:
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Credit Rating Upgraded for First Time in a Decade
- While Thousands Lost Power, KEGOC Executives Received Nearly Half a Billion Tenge
- Changi Airport Group May Help Build Astana’s New Airport
- US Again Extends Deadline for Lukoil to Sell Its Assets in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Extradites Business Manager From Russia in 290 Million Tenge Tax Case
- Released Amur Tiger Successfully Hunts in Kazakhstan’s Wild
- Kazakhstan Moves to Develop Critical Minerals as Global Competition Intensifies
- Another Performance by Kazakh Stand-Up Comedian Called Off
- Uzbekistan Begins Preparations for Second Nuclear Power Plant
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity