Kazakh Diplomat Accused of Espionage in Poland Released in Prisoner Swap
Photo: KMBPCh
Kazakh assistant military attaché Anuar Bakibay, who had been accused by Poland of spying for Russia, was released as part of a prisoner exchange between Poland and Belarus, Orda.kz reports.
The exchange took place on April 28 at the Polish-Belarusian border in a five-for-five format. Several countries took part in the deal, and negotiations reportedly lasted almost a year. Among those released by Belarus were journalist Andrzej Poczobut and Catholic priest Grzegorz Havel. Poland, for its part, handed over, among others, Alexander Balan, who had been convicted of treason in Moldova, and Russian archaeologist Alexander Butyagin.
Bakibay was arrested in the summer of 2025 in the Polish city of Bydgoszcz. According to Poland’s internal security agency, ABW, he was a career intelligence officer working under diplomatic cover and had collected information that threatened the security of Poland and NATO military structures.
Officially, Bakibay was listed as an assistant to the military attaché at Kazakhstan’s embassy in Ukraine. He could be detained only in Poland, since his diplomatic immunity applied only in Ukraine. Because there were no direct flights to Kyiv, embassy staff traveled through Poland.
Earlier, an Orda.kz source said the detainee was about 30 to 35 years old and had two children, one of whom was born in Kyiv. He reportedly graduated from a military educational institution in Russia. According to the outlet, Kazakhstan’s military attaché in Ukraine, Bakytzhan Kisentaev, is his uncle.
The arrest caused an international scandal. Representatives of Kazakh civil society appealed to the European Parliament and the Council of Europe, calling the Bakibay case evidence of Kazakhstan’s security services being dependent on the Kremlin.
This detention has become direct evidence of what we have been saying for many years. Kazakhstan’s security services maintain a systemic dependence on the Kremlin and often act in the interests of Russian structures.the Kazakhstan International Bureau for Human Rights said in a letter.
Kazakhstan’s Defense Ministry confirmed that Bakibay serves in the armed forces, but did not disclose further details. The Foreign Ministry said the embassy in Warsaw was in constant contact with the relevant Polish authorities. The National Security Committee said it had no information on the case.
Journalists from BASE claimed that before such officers are sent abroad, the National Security Committee removes online information about them. According to their reporting, Bakibay had lived the life of “golden youth” abroad.
Original author: Ruslan Loginov
Read also:
- What We Know So Far About the Arrest of Kazakh Military Attaché's Assistant in Poland
- Kazakh Citizen Detained in Germany on Suspicion of Spying for Russia
- Kazakhstan Moves to Expand the List of State Secrets
Latest news
- Kazakhstan Wasted Almost 650 Billion Tenge In 2025, Auditors Say
- Almost 90% Of Kazakh Businesses Still Operate Without Innovation
- Demolition, Resettlement And A New Design Code: How Astana Will Be Rebuilt By 2030
- Kazakhstan Plans Large Energy Storage Systems For Wind And Solar Power
- Authorities Consider LRT From Almaty To Alatau, But Metro Extension Is Not Planned Yet
- Kazakhstani Military Personnel To Receive Expanded Social Guarantees
- Kazakhstan’s Banks Are Still Making Billions, But Profit Growth Is Slowing
- Astana Court Allows Ukraine’s Naftogaz To Recover $1.4 Billion From Gazprom
- Kazakhstan Prepares Amnesty For Some Criminal Cases And Administrative Fines
- Almaty Students Face Criminal Case After Victory Day Walk With Flags
- From Grain To Rare Earth Metals: What Kazakhstan And Kenya Agreed On
- Kazakhstan’s Parliament Adopts Several Constitutional Laws
- Will the $10 Billion Boeing and Airbus Deal Hit Kazakhstan’s Aviation Sector?
- Russia’s New Entry Rules Could Complicate Travel for Kazakhstanis
- Dog Meat Allegedly Found Near Astana Sparks Public Outcry
- Imported Chocolate, Cocoa and Optics Have Risen Sharply in Price in Kazakhstan
- A Chinese Oil Company Was Fined Almost Half a Billion for Drilling Waste in Mangistau
- Pilots Top Kazakhstan’s Salary Expectations as Job Market Activity Rises
- Launch of Stadler Railcars in Kazakhstan Delayed Again Over Safety Concerns
- Kazakhstan and Kenya Prepare to Sign Cooperation Agreements