Woman Attempted Self-Immolation, Almaty Akimat Clarifies Circumstances
Photo: Orda.kz collage
On October 13, a 39-year-old woman poured gasoline on herself and attempted to set herself on fire inside the Almaty Akimat, Orda.kz reports.
A small child was nearby during the incident. An Orda.kz correspondent visited the scene to learn what drove the mother of four to such a desperate act.
According to witnesses, emergency services and several police cars were already stationed outside the akim's office when journalists arrived. Inside the building, staff and visitors were asked to surrender lighters and matches, while a strong smell of gasoline lingered in the air.
About an hour later, police officers escorted a woman out of the building. She identified herself as Zhanar Kalzhanova.

Kalzhanova told Orda.kz that in 2021, she was hit by a car while using a pedestrian crossing. As a result, she lost her baby at 12 weeks of pregnancy and underwent four surgeries.
Due to medical complications, her uterus was removed.
The daughter of an influential man was driving. The Turksib District Court recognized me as a victim and ordered compensation. But the defendants appealed, and the decision was overturned,
she said.
Her appeal to the cassation court also failed.
Since then, Kalzhanova said she has repeatedly visited the akimat seeking assistance. In June, she was personally received by Akim Darkhan Satybaldy.
He said he could help if he contacted the Prosecutor General’s Office. I can’t work because of my health; I have four children. Today, I doused myself with gasoline because I see no other way out. Now they’re taking me to a psychiatric center for attempted suicide,
Kalzhanova explained.
Following the incident, representatives of the akimat clarified why she had not received compensation. According to them, Kalzhanova was not present at the appeals hearing, and the court ruled in her absence. By the time she appealed, the statutory deadline had expired.
The Akimat’s press service also said Kalzhanova has been receiving social assistance since May — initially about 140,000 tenge per month, later increased to 154,000 tenge.
She also received a one-time payment of 20 MCI, while sponsors helped cover rent, utilities, and her son’s college tuition. The family received food packages and school supplies as well.
The woman and her son were offered jobs, but they declined. Since May 15, 2023, Kalzhanova has been on the housing waiting list as a mother of many children,
the press service added.
It remains unclear why the city court issued its ruling without the victim’s participation. Orda.kz has sent an official request to the prosecutor’s office for clarification.
Original Author: Perizat Zharylkasyn
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Credit Rating Upgraded for First Time in a Decade
- While Thousands Lost Power, KEGOC Executives Received Nearly Half a Billion Tenge
- Changi Airport Group May Help Build Astana’s New Airport
- US Again Extends Deadline for Lukoil to Sell Its Assets in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Extradites Business Manager From Russia in 290 Million Tenge Tax Case
- Released Amur Tiger Successfully Hunts in Kazakhstan’s Wild
- Kazakhstan Moves to Develop Critical Minerals as Global Competition Intensifies
- Another Performance by Kazakh Stand-Up Comedian Called Off
- Uzbekistan Begins Preparations for Second Nuclear Power Plant
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity