Trump’s Sons Enter Kazakhstan’s Subsoil Project With U.S. Government Money
AI-generated illustration
The sons of U.S. President Donald Trump — Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump — have joined a Kazakh tungsten project that received $1.6 billion in state support from the U.S. administration, Orda.kz reports, citing the Financial Times.
According to the FT, the Trump brothers bought shares in the construction company Skyline Builders Group in August last year through a special intermediary company linked to Dominari Securities. On Sept. 22, President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev said at a meeting with Trump that he planned to transfer a major tungsten project to the American investment group Cove Kaz Capital. The company was competing for the deposit with Chinese and Russian bidders.
After details of the Tokayev-Trump agreement appeared in the press on Oct. 21, the president’s sons increased their position in Skyline on Oct. 28 by investing nearly $24 million in a private placement. Then, on Oct. 31, Skyline agreed to pay $20 million for a 20% stake in a company that owns “significant assets in the field of critical minerals in Asia.” That company turned out to be Kaz Resources, a division of Cove Capital.
On Nov. 6, during a White House summit, Cove Capital and Kazakhstan’s national mining company announced a deal to develop what they called “the largest undeveloped tungsten deposit in the world.” The project concerns the Northern Katpar and Upper Kairakty deposits in central Kazakhstan. Cove Kaz received a 70% stake in the project.
Donald Trump and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick personally intervened in the negotiations to keep the asset out of Chinese control. Construction of the mine is expected to begin in two years, with production set to start in three and a half.
On April 30, Skyline announced a merger with Cove Kaz Capital and Kaz Resources. The new company will trade on Nasdaq under the ticker KAZR. The Trump brothers were not mentioned in the press release.
The Export-Import Bank and the U.S. International Development Finance Corporation allocated up to $1.6 billion to the project. Tungsten is a strategic metal for the defense industry, and the United States has not produced it since 2015, relying instead on supplies from China.
A representative for Donald Trump Jr. told the FT that he is a “passive investor” and does not interact with the federal government on behalf of the companies in which he invests. Eric Trump did not respond to the newspaper’s requests. The White House also did not comment.
Original author: Ruslan Loginov
Read also:
- US Ambassador to Kazakhstan: Visa Restrictions for Kazakhstanis Are a Temporary Measure
- U.S.-Kazakhstan Talks in Washington Focus on Economy and Regional Issues
- Kazakhstan: Americans to Search for Lithium and Rare Metals Deposits
Latest news
- Kazakhstan Wasted Almost 650 Billion Tenge In 2025, Auditors Say
- Almost 90% Of Kazakh Businesses Still Operate Without Innovation
- Demolition, Resettlement And A New Design Code: How Astana Will Be Rebuilt By 2030
- Kazakhstan Plans Large Energy Storage Systems For Wind And Solar Power
- Authorities Consider LRT From Almaty To Alatau, But Metro Extension Is Not Planned Yet
- Kazakhstani Military Personnel To Receive Expanded Social Guarantees
- Kazakhstan’s Banks Are Still Making Billions, But Profit Growth Is Slowing
- Astana Court Allows Ukraine’s Naftogaz To Recover $1.4 Billion From Gazprom
- Kazakhstan Prepares Amnesty For Some Criminal Cases And Administrative Fines
- Almaty Students Face Criminal Case After Victory Day Walk With Flags
- From Grain To Rare Earth Metals: What Kazakhstan And Kenya Agreed On
- Kazakhstan’s Parliament Adopts Several Constitutional Laws
- Will the $10 Billion Boeing and Airbus Deal Hit Kazakhstan’s Aviation Sector?
- Russia’s New Entry Rules Could Complicate Travel for Kazakhstanis
- Dog Meat Allegedly Found Near Astana Sparks Public Outcry
- Imported Chocolate, Cocoa and Optics Have Risen Sharply in Price in Kazakhstan
- A Chinese Oil Company Was Fined Almost Half a Billion for Drilling Waste in Mangistau
- Pilots Top Kazakhstan’s Salary Expectations as Job Market Activity Rises
- Launch of Stadler Railcars in Kazakhstan Delayed Again Over Safety Concerns
- Kazakhstan and Kenya Prepare to Sign Cooperation Agreements