Syria: Israeli Incursion Reported, US Mulls Delisting HTS
Photo: AI generated, picture for illustrative purposes
An Israeli military incursion into southern Syria has reached about 25 km southwest of Damascus, Orda reports, citing The Times of Israel.
Two regional security sources and a Syrian were the initial sources.
The Syrian source claimed Israeli troops reached Qatana, 10 km into Syrian territory east of the demilitarized zone separating Golan Heights from Syria.
The Israeli military later denied its forces went beyond the buffer zone. Against this backdrop, reports indicate that Israel has carried out several air strikes across Syria, including one targeting the nation's navy.
Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said the IDF aimed to "destroy strategic capabilities that threaten the State of Israel."
The IDF has dismissed reports about tanks approaching Damascus as "false" but confirmed its troops being in Syrian territory beyond the demilitarized buffer zone between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. It has been called a "temporary solution."
The IDF said the strikes were to prevent weapons falling "into the hands of extremists," according to the BBC.
Previously, Qatar, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and Iran condemned Israel for "expanding its buffer zone" near the Golan Heights. Türkiye's Ministry of Foreign Affairs also condemned Israel's actions.
Israel's violation of the '1974 Separation of Forces Agreement' and its entry into the separation zone between Israel and Syria and its advancement into Syrian territory, the statement reads.
Meanwhile, Politico writes that officials in Washington are debating over delisting Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) as a terrorist organization following the fall of the Bashar al-Assad regime.
There is a huge scramble to see if, and how, and when we can delist HTS,an official told Politico.
At the same time, reports emerged that The US carried out strikes on targets associated with *Islamic State, banned in Kazakhstan, in central Syria, while Türkiye targeted US-backed Kurdish forces.
* Terrorist organization recognized as extremist in Kazakhstan: ISIS (Islamic State, by decision of the court of the Yesil district of Astana dated October 15, 2015)
Editor's note: The initial Reuters report is no longer available; it has either been edited or deleted. We have updated the article to reflect the current situation.
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Credit Rating Upgraded for First Time in a Decade
- While Thousands Lost Power, KEGOC Executives Received Nearly Half a Billion Tenge
- Changi Airport Group May Help Build Astana’s New Airport
- US Again Extends Deadline for Lukoil to Sell Its Assets in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Extradites Business Manager From Russia in 290 Million Tenge Tax Case
- Released Amur Tiger Successfully Hunts in Kazakhstan’s Wild
- Kazakhstan Moves to Develop Critical Minerals as Global Competition Intensifies
- Another Performance by Kazakh Stand-Up Comedian Called Off
- Uzbekistan Begins Preparations for Second Nuclear Power Plant
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity