Syria: Israeli Incursion Reported, US Mulls Delisting HTS
Photo: AI generated, picture for illustrative purposes
An Israeli military incursion into southern Syria has reached about 25 km southwest of Damascus, Orda reports, citing The Times of Israel.
Two regional security sources and a Syrian were the initial sources.
The Syrian source claimed Israeli troops reached Qatana, 10 km into Syrian territory east of the demilitarized zone separating Golan Heights from Syria.
The Israeli military later denied its forces went beyond the buffer zone. Against this backdrop, reports indicate that Israel has carried out several air strikes across Syria, including one targeting the nation's navy.
Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said the IDF aimed to "destroy strategic capabilities that threaten the State of Israel."
The IDF has dismissed reports about tanks approaching Damascus as "false" but confirmed its troops being in Syrian territory beyond the demilitarized buffer zone between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. It has been called a "temporary solution."
The IDF said the strikes were to prevent weapons falling "into the hands of extremists," according to the BBC.
Previously, Qatar, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and Iran condemned Israel for "expanding its buffer zone" near the Golan Heights. Türkiye's Ministry of Foreign Affairs also condemned Israel's actions.
Israel's violation of the '1974 Separation of Forces Agreement' and its entry into the separation zone between Israel and Syria and its advancement into Syrian territory, the statement reads.
Meanwhile, Politico writes that officials in Washington are debating over delisting Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) as a terrorist organization following the fall of the Bashar al-Assad regime.
There is a huge scramble to see if, and how, and when we can delist HTS,an official told Politico.
At the same time, reports emerged that The US carried out strikes on targets associated with *Islamic State, banned in Kazakhstan, in central Syria, while Türkiye targeted US-backed Kurdish forces.
* Terrorist organization recognized as extremist in Kazakhstan: ISIS (Islamic State, by decision of the court of the Yesil district of Astana dated October 15, 2015)
Editor's note: The initial Reuters report is no longer available; it has either been edited or deleted. We have updated the article to reflect the current situation.
Latest news
- Kazakh Activist Sentenced In Electoral Rights Case
- Kazakhstan Signs Extradition Agreements With Hong Kong And Macau
- Kazakhstan Plans Six Air Taxi Vertiports By 2028
- Why Kazakhstan Is Looking For Belgian Businessman Frank Monstrey
- Government Rejects Higher Markups For Rural Food Stores
- Kazakhstan Prepares Local Suppliers For Nuclear Power Plant Construction
- Akimats Turn To Stock Exchange To Fund Housing Projects
- Kazakhstan To Expand Digital Biometric Records System
- Kazakhstan Farmers Face Contract Blocks Over Irrigation Water Debt
- Former Priest Iakov Vorontsov To Be Sent To Psychiatric Hospital
- Astana Woman Jailed For Visa Fraud Worth Nearly 900 Million Tenge
- Foreign-Plated Car Owners Protest Police Raids In Atyrau
- Kazakhstan Wasted Almost 650 Billion Tenge In 2025, Auditors Say
- Almost 90% Of Kazakh Businesses Still Operate Without Innovation
- Demolition, Resettlement And A New Design Code: How Astana Will Be Rebuilt By 2030
- Kazakhstan Plans Large Energy Storage Systems For Wind And Solar Power
- Authorities Consider LRT From Almaty To Alatau, But Metro Extension Is Not Planned Yet
- Kazakhstani Military Personnel To Receive Expanded Social Guarantees
- Kazakhstan’s Banks Are Still Making Billions, But Profit Growth Is Slowing
- Astana Court Allows Ukraine’s Naftogaz To Recover $1.4 Billion From Gazprom