Shymkent Deputy Akim: Trial Continues in Armed Attack Case
Photo: Orda
The Shymkent city court is continuing proceedings in the high-profile case concerning the armed attack on Ruslan Berdenov, the city’s deputy Akim, Orda.kz reports.
Berdenov did not attend the preliminary hearing. The accused, 30-year-old Yernur Zhiembay, who is charged with attempted homicide, requested a bench trial, opting out of a jury.
He also requested to prohibit photographs from being taken in the courtroom.
Zhiembay is represented by four lawyers, including his father, Zhiembay Praliyev, who was recognized as a public defender in the case.
In court, the defendant claimed he had been pressured during the investigation — a claim his father denied. Zhiembay also said he plans to call his wife, Luiza, as a witness in the next session.
Berdenov’s lawyer requested that the case be sent back for further investigation, arguing that since the attack occurred in a public place, additional charges such as hooliganism should be added. However, both the prosecution and the defense opposed the motion, and the judge rejected it.
The next hearing is scheduled for August 6. Berdenov’s lawyer said the deputy Akim is expected to appear, health permitting.
At an earlier session on July 28, the prosecutor revealed the alleged motive. The indictment states that the motive stemmed from a workplace conflict.
On April 21, Kenzhebayev, head of monitoring for construction projects in the Shymkent construction department, allegedly told Zhiembay by phone that Berdenov had ordered him to ask for Zhiembay’s resignation from the management of the municipal company Turgyn Uy Shymkent.
On April 21, the head of the department for monitoring construction sites in the Shymkent construction department, Kenzhebayev, told the defendant Zhiembay by phone that the deputy akim of Shymkent, Berdenov, told him to write a letter of resignation from the position of head of LLP "Turgyn Uy Shymkent" voluntarily. After which Zhiembay developed an intent to commit the attack, the state prosecutor said.
Following the call, Zhiembay reportedly bought a bottle of alcohol, drank it in his car, retrieved a Saiga hunting rifle from home, and kept it in his wife’s car.
Later that day, he allegedly waited for Berdenov near the city hall and fired five times. When Berdenov fell, Zhiembay attempted a final shot, but the wounded official resisted.
The deputy Akim’s driver then struck the attacker with his vehicle, stopping the assault.
The trial will continue on August 6.
Original Authors: Nazerke Yerkinbekkyzy, Dinara Bekbolayeva
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Credit Rating Upgraded for First Time in a Decade
- While Thousands Lost Power, KEGOC Executives Received Nearly Half a Billion Tenge
- Changi Airport Group May Help Build Astana’s New Airport
- US Again Extends Deadline for Lukoil to Sell Its Assets in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Extradites Business Manager From Russia in 290 Million Tenge Tax Case
- Released Amur Tiger Successfully Hunts in Kazakhstan’s Wild
- Kazakhstan Moves to Develop Critical Minerals as Global Competition Intensifies
- Another Performance by Kazakh Stand-Up Comedian Called Off
- Uzbekistan Begins Preparations for Second Nuclear Power Plant
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity