Kazakhstan Supports Cyprus Search For Missing Persons
Illustration: elements.envato.com
Kazakhstan has provided financial assistance to the Committee on Missing Persons in Cyprus, transferring $10,000, or about 4.9 million tenge, Orda.kz reports.
The committee searches for the remains of people who went missing during intercommunal clashes in 1963–1964 and the events of 1974 in Cyprus. Specialists excavate possible burial sites, identify remains through DNA testing, and return them to families.
The objective is to recover, identify, and return to their families the remains of 2002 persons — 492 Turkish Cypriots and 1510 Greek Cypriots — who went missing during the intercommunal fighting of 1963–1964 and the events of 1974,the committee said on its official website.
Kazakhstan transferred the money on June 12, 2026. The committee said the contribution would help continue the search for missing persons and support identification work in 2026.
According to the committee, hundreds of families still do not know what happened to their relatives decades after the conflict. The organization continues searches on both sides of the divided island and returns identified remains to families for burial.
In January, the European Union donated 2.6 million euros to the committee, while the United Kingdom contributed 15,000 pounds in March.
Last year, remains of 23 people were found during excavations. Twelve were identified and returned to relatives. Eight of them were Greek Cypriots and four were Turkish Cypriots.
Original author: Daria Malkova
Read also:
- Missing Kazakh Woman Found in Vietnam Four Days Later
- U.S. Police Confirm Death Of Missing 24-Year-Old Kazakh Man
- Ministry Calls Yassawi Mausoleum Cladding Collapse ‘Planned Dismantling’
Latest news
- Archaeologists Study 1,500-Year-Old Settlement in Southern Kazakhstan
- Kyrgyzstan Confirms Generator Failure but Rejects Blame for Almaty Blackout
- Kokshetau Power Plant Shifts to Domestic Financing and Chinese Equipment
- Kazakhstan May Have to Choose Between US and Chinese AI Initiatives
- Kazakhstan Still Unable to Resume Druzhba Oil Exports to Germany
- Major Blackout Hits Much of Central Asia
- “He Was Not Ready”: Japarov Drops Plan to Back Tashiev and Will Seek Re-Election
- Domestic Violence Center Lawyer Convicted of Assaulting His Wife
- South Korea Opens Legal Factory and Cleaning Jobs to Kazakhstanis
- Almaty Petition Calls for Halt to Covering Open Irrigation Channels
- Rare Vulture Tagged in Kazakhstan to Track Its Migration
- Kazakhstan’s First 50 MW Data Center to Launch in June 2027
- KNB Service Dog Returns to Auction With Minimum Price of About 20 Cents
- Kazakhtelecom Finds No Internal Fault as Telegram Problems Continue
- Telegram Disruptions Reported Across Kazakhstan
- Employee Numbers Rise as Self-Employment Declines in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan’s Maritime Companies Earn More From Vessel Charters Than Shipping
- Digital Ministry Comments on Alleged Leak of 15 Million Kazakhstanis’ Data
- German Couple Dies in Akmola Region Highway Crash
- State Agencies to Receive Top Score When Citizens Leave No Feedback