Kazakhmys Miners' Strike in Satpayev: What Is Known
Photo: Screenshot
Hundreds of workers of the branch of the corporation TOO Kazakhmys - Zhezkazgantsvetmet have gone on strike in the Ulytau region, Orda.kz reports.
On December 17, a strike suddenly broke out at shaft No. 65 of the Yuzhno-Kazakhstansky mine.
More than 250 miners refused to go underground. People declared the need for higher wages and better working conditions.
Zhezkazgantsvetmet worker Kairat Baukene said the protest began around midday when the third shift was supposed to enter the mine. However, the miners refused to continue working.
The YUZhR head Aldabergenov came down to the workers to negotiate. Employees of the regional Akimat and law enforcement agencies also arrived. The miners' demands and conditions are being clarified,
wrote Bauke.
Demands related to the rising cost of copper on the international market, the rise in the dollar exchange rate, and the rise in the price of food and utilities spurred the strike.
At first, the workers wanted a 30% wage increase, but later, the miners declared the need to increase wages by 100% and reduce pressure from government agencies.
Kairat Bauken also shared a video of a sudden fire breaking out at the mine during the strike.
One of the employees was hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning,
he commented.
According to him, the arrival of Kazakhmys General Director Oleg Kopytov in Zhezkazgan is expected to resolve the conflict.
In an official statement, Kazakhmys Corporation said that at the beginning of 2025, it planned to index wages in accordance with the inflation rate.
An 8.5% increase in wages is expected. The average income of workers will increase to 822,000 tenge, and for underground professions - to 1,303,000 tenge, the corporation stated.
The situation remains unresolved for now. The parties continue negotiations, and the miners await specific company management actions.
A year ago, on August 14, miners of Kazakhmys had already gone on strike. Only by evening the management reached an agreement with the protesters.
Their demands were partially met.
Original Author: Olga Ibraeva
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Credit Rating Upgraded for First Time in a Decade
- While Thousands Lost Power, KEGOC Executives Received Nearly Half a Billion Tenge
- Changi Airport Group May Help Build Astana’s New Airport
- US Again Extends Deadline for Lukoil to Sell Its Assets in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Extradites Business Manager From Russia in 290 Million Tenge Tax Case
- Released Amur Tiger Successfully Hunts in Kazakhstan’s Wild
- Kazakhstan Moves to Develop Critical Minerals as Global Competition Intensifies
- Another Performance by Kazakh Stand-Up Comedian Called Off
- Uzbekistan Begins Preparations for Second Nuclear Power Plant
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity