Fatal Collapse at Kazakhmys Corporation's Mine: Government Launches Investigation
Фото: Depisitphotos, ill. purposes.
On February 17, a rock mass collapsed at the Zhomart mine operated by Kazakhmys Corporation in the Zhanaarka district of Ulytau region, Orda reports.
Seven people were trapped behind the collapse.
A government commission has been established to investigate the incident. An investigation is underway to determine all the circumstances of the event. Emergency response teams from Kazakhstan's Ministry of Emergency Situations are working at the site.
According to preliminary data from Kazakhmys, there was an explosion of natural gas.
Seven people were trapped in the collapse. Their bodies have been found.
The Ministry of Emergency Situations hotline received 23 calls regarding the incident.
The Ulytau region's Department of Police has opened a criminal case under Article 277, Part 3 of the Criminal Code: "Violation of Safety Regulations During Mining or Construction Works."
Kazakhstan's Prime Minister Olzhas Bektenov has formed a special commission to investigate the causes of the mine collapse and assist those affected.
Deputy Prime Minister Kanat Bozumbayev is heading the commission and was instructed to immediately travel to the emergency site to coordinate the work of state bodies and organizations.
Aqorda reports that the President of Kazakhstan sent a telegram of condolences to the workers' families.
He instructed the government to conduct a thorough investigation into the causes of the emergency and directed relevant departments and the regional administration to provide all necessary assistance to the families of the deceased.
Kazakhmys Corporation will provide comprehensive support to the families of those who died at the mine, as stipulated in their collective agreement:
- Payment of 10 times the worker's average annual salary
- Over 2 million tenge for funeral arrangements
- Monthly payments for loss of breadwinner
- Coverage of children's education costs
- Repayment of the deceased workers' loans and debts
- Other forms of assistance upon family members' request
The regional administration of Ulytau has also pledged to providepsychological and social support to the families of the deceased workers.
The regional governor, Dastan Ryspekov, expressed deep condolences, stating:
This tragedy has deeply shaken all of us. This devastating event has brought irreparable loss to several families. Your grief is our shared pain. All necessary measures will be taken to support the families who lost their loved ones in this sudden and tragic moment.
Latest news
- Kazakhstanis Made 27 Million Cinema Visits Last Year
- How Kazakhstan Buys Medicines Through Its State Operator
- EAEU Eases Freight Restrictions On Key Transport Corridors
- No Textbooks, Not Enough Specialists: What Kazakhstan Promised Visually Impaired Children
- Kazakhstan Has Almost Three Times More Old Cars Than New Ones
- Businesses Warn Unfinished Cargo Document System Could Lead To Unfair Fines
- Kazakhstan To Mine More Coal Despite Green Energy Pledges
- Astana LRT Finally Opens After Years Of Delays
- Kazakhstan Delivers Humanitarian Aid To Iran
- Oil Market Volatility And A Stronger Dollar — Kazakhstan’s Week In Review
- Authorities To Tighten Astana Development Rules
- “We Need A Year Of Observation” — Talks On Kazakhstan’s Balkhash Nuclear Power Plant Held In Moscow
- Parking In Astana To Become More Expensive
- Kazakhstan To Launch Artificial Rainfall Project
- Kazakhstan’s Health Ministry Admits Medicine Supply Disruptions
- Center Of Turkic Civilization To Be Built In Turkestan
- Who Will Be Able To Join Halyk Kenesi, Parliament Says
- The OTS Seeks Influence — Can The Turkic Union Become A Real Political Player?
- Astana Records 1,500 Traffic Violations A Day, Akimat Says
- “Not A Military Alliance, But A Platform For Cooperation” — Tokayev Speaks At OTS Summit In Turkestan