Family of 19-Year-Old Soldier Rejects Suicide Claim
Photo: instagram enlik_kaltaeva
On September 17, a 19-year-old conscript was found dead at a military unit in the Almaty region. His parents traveled to Almaty to identify the body.
An Orda.kz correspondent spoke with his relatives.
Background
Dinmukhamed Shynarbek and his twin brother, Daniyal, were born in 2006 in Shymkent. From an early age, he was described as hardworking and devoted, helping with tasks from the age of 13.
My son was always by my side. Wherever I went, he was there. Even as a little boy he’d ask, ‘Dad, can I help you?’ A child like that couldn’t commit suicide, his father said.
In the fall of 2024, Daniyal was drafted into the army. Dinmukhamed soon followed him to the Otar garrison.

At first, the brothers served together, but after taking the oath Dinmukhamed was reassigned to military unit No. 01098 in Matybulak—where the tragedy occurred.
He wanted to spend the first six months with his brother, then continue separately once he was settled. But they were split up. When the tragedy happened, we were told he was in Otar. Then they said the body had been taken to Qorday. Later, they told us Almaty. First one place, then another... We kept getting different answers, nothing concrete. They simply called us and said, ‘Your son hanged himself,’ his aunt recalled.
She attended the autopsy, where doctors listed asphyxia as the cause of death.
No signs of violence or internal injuries were found. Still, the family rejects the official suicide version.
Perhaps he was hanged after death, suggested his aunt, Togzhan.

His mother, holding back tears, remembered his recent birthday. Dinmukhamed had turned 19 on August 29.
A few days earlier he called, asking me to come to Otar to celebrate. But I couldn’t go... Maybe he sensed something... He left saying, ‘I will defend the motherland.’ But the motherland couldn’t protect my son. I raised him with love, educated him. I personally handed him over alive to the enlistment office. And what did I hear in return? ‘Take him, bury him,’ she said.
Saying Goodbye
Many people, including representatives of the Ministry of Defense, gathered to bid farewell to Dinmukhamed, who had served only five months in the army.
His relatives do not believe the official version of suicide, insisting he may have been strangled and accusing the military of negligence.
"When the body was found, his hands were tied behind his back. He was killed. Negligence is to blame. There was no proper oversight," the family said.
They remember Dinmukhamed as someone who loved life. He studied cooking in college, worked as a confectioner, and dreamed of opening his own pastry business.
The youngest in his family, he is survived by his twin brother, as well as an older brother and sister.
Moving Forward
After his death, the family moved to withdraw Daniyal from service. He remains in the Otar garrison with only a month left, but his parents fear for his safety and are looking for a way to bring him home early.
A forensic examination has been ordered, with results expected in 15–30 days.
Meanwhile, Dinmukhamed’s aunt released a video message to the president, questioning oversight in the army and urging that young men not be sent to military units without proper safety guarantees.
Similar tragedies have previously been reported in the Otar garrison.
Original Author: Aisha Aldayar
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Credit Rating Upgraded for First Time in a Decade
- While Thousands Lost Power, KEGOC Executives Received Nearly Half a Billion Tenge
- Changi Airport Group May Help Build Astana’s New Airport
- US Again Extends Deadline for Lukoil to Sell Its Assets in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Extradites Business Manager From Russia in 290 Million Tenge Tax Case
- Released Amur Tiger Successfully Hunts in Kazakhstan’s Wild
- Kazakhstan Moves to Develop Critical Minerals as Global Competition Intensifies
- Another Performance by Kazakh Stand-Up Comedian Called Off
- Uzbekistan Begins Preparations for Second Nuclear Power Plant
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity