Deputy Prime Minister Weighs In on Baganashyl Orphanage Scandal
Photo: Gov.kz
Deputy Prime Minister Yermek Kosherbayev addressed the controversial attempt to forcibly relocate children from the Baganashyl orphanage to Qonayev — a scandal that has escalated to the point of presidential intervention, Orda.kz reports.
Speaking at a government press conference, Kosherbayev unexpectedly referenced the Russian cult film Zhmurki.
One of the characters says, ‘If you see things heating up — back off.’ I also spoke with the Children’s Rights Commissioner, Dinara Zakiyeva, and she said, ‘We’re scheduled to meet with the Akim on the 24th to resolve this.’ In other words, all that was needed was proper communication and a calm resolution, he said.
Instead, the situation spiraled.
The Akim did not anticipate that attempting to remove the children would lead to such fallout. Of course, responsibility lies with the executive branch. This should never have been allowed to happen. The actions of certain officials clearly exceeded their authority,Kosherbayev noted.
Still, Kosherbayev called for a more nuanced look at the issue:
These children were brought in from across the region. Funding and jurisdiction fall under the Almaty Region. As far as I know, those who were relocated to Qonayev weren’t part of the Baganashyl orphanage — they were from a different institution, a juvenile adaptation center, he said.
Kosherbayev added that he hadn’t received complaints from the majority of children who were moved.
“If any of them want to return, there will be a process for addressing that. But so far, I’ve heard no objections. If there are any, they will be taken into account.”
The deputy prime minister also responded to calls for the resignation of Almaty Region Akim Marat Sultangaziyev.
“I’ve heard that demand — it came from one of the deputies. But that’s not within my authority. I’ve already said where I believe the Akim and his administration failed to act appropriately.”
The situation surrounding the orphanage escalated on July 21, when some children physically blocked a bus from leaving. Police used force to clear the way, sparking public outrage.
Deputy Bakytzhan Bazarbek and activist Aruzhan Sain soon arrived on site.
Shortly thereafter, President Qasym-Jomart Toqayev personally intervened and ordered the relocation to be halted.
Original Author: Zhadra Zhulmukhametova
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Credit Rating Upgraded for First Time in a Decade
- While Thousands Lost Power, KEGOC Executives Received Nearly Half a Billion Tenge
- Changi Airport Group May Help Build Astana’s New Airport
- US Again Extends Deadline for Lukoil to Sell Its Assets in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Extradites Business Manager From Russia in 290 Million Tenge Tax Case
- Released Amur Tiger Successfully Hunts in Kazakhstan’s Wild
- Kazakhstan Moves to Develop Critical Minerals as Global Competition Intensifies
- Another Performance by Kazakh Stand-Up Comedian Called Off
- Uzbekistan Begins Preparations for Second Nuclear Power Plant
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity