CPJ Urges Kazakhstan to Reinstate Accreditation for 16 Azattyq Journalists Ahead of Court Ruling
Photo: RFE/RL
The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has urged Kazakh authorities to reinstate the accreditation of 16 Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) reporters barred from working since June, Orda.kz reports.
The reminder came ahead of a court hearing scheduled for August 19.
Under the 2024 media law, foreign journalists are prohibited from working in Kazakhstan without accreditation.
RFE/RL’s bold reporting has an absolutely central place in Kazakhstan’s media sphere, and we await with deep concern a court verdict that could dramatically hinder its work. Kazakh authorities must allow RFE/RL to operate free from harassment and should reform overly restrictive foreign accreditation laws,
said Gulnoza Said, coordinator of CPJ’s program for Europe and Central Asia.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs refused to renew accreditation for 16 journalists, including the bureau chief. Officials argued that the reporters continued to work while their applications were under review, which they described as a violation of the law.
The outlet maintains that the ministry itself violated deadlines, prolonging the review process beyond the required two months and later citing the delay as grounds for refusal. It also noted that the law’s restrictions on “foreign media” should not apply to RFE/RL’s local journalists, who are all Kazakh citizens.
The Foreign Ministry has previously denied accreditation to 36 Azattyq employees.
It was clear then, and it has become even clearer now, that the restrictive amendments to the accreditation rules for 2024 were developed for Radio Azattyq,
wrote Gulmira Birzhanova, head of the media support department at the Legal Media Center, on Facebook.
CPJ said it reached out to the ministry for comment but has not received a reply.
In July 2025, RFE/RL filed a lawsuit against the Foreign Ministry following the refusal to accredit its staff.
The ministry rejected a proposal for reconciliation. On August 18, court debates took place in Astana, and the ruling is expected on August 19.
Original Author: Raushan Korzhumbekova
Latest news
- Kazakhstan’s Credit Rating Upgraded for First Time in a Decade
- While Thousands Lost Power, KEGOC Executives Received Nearly Half a Billion Tenge
- Changi Airport Group May Help Build Astana’s New Airport
- US Again Extends Deadline for Lukoil to Sell Its Assets in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan Extradites Business Manager From Russia in 290 Million Tenge Tax Case
- Released Amur Tiger Successfully Hunts in Kazakhstan’s Wild
- Kazakhstan Moves to Develop Critical Minerals as Global Competition Intensifies
- Another Performance by Kazakh Stand-Up Comedian Called Off
- Uzbekistan Begins Preparations for Second Nuclear Power Plant
- Backpack Links Glacier Remains to Man Missing for 19 Years
- 650-Hectare Wildfire Contained in Karaganda Region
- Unusual Wildlife Encounter Captured in Altyn-Emel
- Retired Border Service Dog Sold for $2 at Kazakhstan Auction
- Will Kazakhstan Have Enough Coal This Winter?
- Belarusian Hikers Find Body on Glacier Near Almaty
- Kazakhstan Investigates Spending on 242 Million Tenge Educational Game
- Kazakhstan Makes Caspian Oil Companies Pay for Counterterrorism Deployments
- Kazakhstan Faces Shortage of 245,000 School Places
- Waste Dumping Reported Near Yurt Camps at Lake Zaisan
- Kazakh Oil Rerouted to Novorossiysk as Russia Frees Baltic Export Capacity