Kazakhstan's Government: New Faces
After the resignation of Alikhan Smailov’s government, some experts expected serious changes in the Cabinet. There were no radical changes, however. Only five people are newcomers, including the current Prime Minister, Olzhas Bektenov. Orda.kz has looked into the situation.
Olzhas Bektenov, Prime Minister
Bektenov was born on December 13, 1980. He is a Candidate of Law and has been the Lieutenant General of the Anti-Corruption Service.
The current Prime Minister began his career in 2002 as the chief specialist of the department in the Almaty Department of Justice. He later worked in the law department of the Prime Minister's Office for a year. From 2006-2009, he worked in the Presidential Administration. Bektenov spent the next three years at the Ministry of Justice.
In 2012, Bektenov joined the financial police, thus laying the foundation for his career as a security officer. He would also work in the akimats of the Astana and Aqmola region along with the Presidential Administration.
From 2018 to 2023, Bektenov's only place of service was Antikor. In February 2022, he became the head of this structure. During his tenure, there were high-profile corruption cases related to Kairat Boranbayev, Kairat Satybaldyuly, the founder of the ROP Operator, etc.
In April 2023, he joined the Presidential Administration for the third time as its head. And on February 6, 2024, he headed the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Bektenov is not a very public individual and has not been involved in high-profile scandals.
Nurlan Baybazarov, Deputy Prime Minister - Minister of National Economy
Date of Birth: October 10, 1975.
Baibazarov is perhaps even less public than Bektenov. Only information on his former places of employment is available online.
From 1997 to 2003, he worked in the Ministry of Finance. From 2004 to 2011, he held senior positions at the Development Bank of Kazakhstan. In 2022-2023, he headed this bank.
In 2013-2016, he worked at the Ministry of National Economy. From 2016 to November 2022, he was a member of the Board of Directors and Chairman of the Board of the Industrial Development Fund. He is also reported to have worked in KTZ and KazMunayGas structures.
Since October 5, 2023, Baibazarov has been chairman of the Board of the national managing holding Baiterek, replacing the current head of the Ministry of Industry Kanat Sharlapayev.
Akmaral Alnazarova, Minister of Health
Date of Birth: February 16, 1971.
Health Minister Azhar Giniyat had recently had several issues. In January, Kazakhstanis even published a petition calling for her resignation. Perhaps coincidentally, senator Akmaral Alnazarova replaced Giniyat almost a month later.
Alnazarova has both medical and scientific experience paired with work experience in the civil service.
Medical experience: she worked as a doctor in the emergency room of the Kyzylorda City Children's Hospital from 1994-1997. From 2001-2003, she was the head physician there.
Scientific experience: from 1997-1999, Alnazarova was a junior researcher at the Kyzylorda branch of the Scientific Center for Pediatrics and Pediatric Surgery. From 2007-2013, she headed the Kyzylorda Medical College.
Civil service: Akmaral Alnazarova twice headed the health department of the Kyzylorda region — 2003-2004 and 2015-2019. In 2013-2015 she worked as the regional deputy akim.
Alnazarova has also not been involved in scandals. As a senator, she sent parliamentary inquiries drawing attention to the decreasing availability of primary medical care in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Madi Takiev, Minister of Finance
Date of birth: April 1, 1978.
Madi Takiyev is a lower house deputy. Considering the ongoing work on the new Tax Code and the introduction of universal declaration, his appointment seems logical. The new finance minister spent most of his career in the tax authorities.
Takiyev began his career in 1998 as the chief accountant of the Institute of State and Law.
From 2000 to 2013 and from 2017 to 2019, he worked in various tax service structures. Takiyev worked his way up from the inspector of the Almaty Tax Committee to the director of the Department of Tax Control of the State Revenue Committee.
The new minister also has experience working in the government. In 2014, he worked in the Office of the Prime Minister, and in 2019-2020 he was Vice Minister of National Economy.
From 2020-2023, he worked in the Presidential Administration.
Since April 2023, he had been a Majilis deputy. Last June at an AMANAT session he drew attention to the low incomes of Kazakhstanis.
Genghis Arinov, Minister of Emergency Situations
Date of Birth: October 21, 1983. Major General of the State Guard Security Service.
Arinov replaced Syrym Sharipkhanov, who held this position for only a few months. Sharipkhanov was urgently appointed, during the June fires in the Abay region. He succeeded Yuri Ilyin. Six months later, the president criticized him. Toqayev expressed dissatisfaction with the Ministry of Emergency Situations' unpreparedness for the recent earthquake in Almaty.
Genghis Arinov had been in the state guard security service since 2006. Since January 2022, he had been the head of the Presidential Security Service.
Original Author: Igor Ulitin
DISCLAIMER: This is a translated piece. The text has been modified, the content is the same. Please refer to the original piece in Russian for accuracy.
- Who Continues to Support Ukraine in Kazakhstan?
- Nuclear Power Plant in Kazakhstan: What do Korean and Russian Companies Offer?
- Tired of Being Afraid: How Human Rights Activists Want to Stop and Prevent Torture in Kazakhstan
- From Alash to Atabek: How Regime Opponents Were Treated in Prisons
- Engaged in Theft and Collects "Tribute": Demands Made to Hold ANPZ Head, Galymzhan Zhusanbayev, Accountable, Later Dismissed
- Atyrau Refinery: What Led The Refinery to Crisis
- Bridge Between East and West: Kazakhstan Included in List of "Middle Powers"
- "An Act of Political Terror." - Altynbek Sarsenbayuly’s Relatives About His Death
- Nurali Aliyev's Former Company Created 787 million KZT Mudflow Monitoring System
- Kazakhstan's Government: New Faces
- "We Are Considered Rejects of Society": How Those Incarcerated Adapt
- Toqayev Chairs Expanded Session of Government, Summarizes 2023, Sets Task for Future.
- What can we expect from Olzhas Bektenov as Prime Minister?
- Political Scientists Assess Smailov's Government
- Committee to Protect Journalists Calls on Kazakh Government to Investigate Cyber Attacks on Media
- Why Kazakhstan and Ukraine's Relations "Froze"
- Restricting Freedom of Speech or Violation of The Law: How Does Radio Azattyq Threaten Kazakhstan's National Security?
- "Selectivity" in Elite Circles: Why Experts Are Skeptical about Asset Recovery
- Impunity in Kazakhstan: from Harassment to Homicide
- "They Wanted to Scare Me" - Sexual Assault Case Has Not Made It to Court