Chevron CEO Names Tengiz Contract Extension a Top Priority
Photo: Tengizchevroil.com
Renewing the stabilized contract for the development of Kazakhstan’s Tengiz field is among Chevron’s main priorities, Chair of the Board Mike Wirth said in an interview with Bloomberg columnist Javier Blas, Orda.kz reports.
Blas noted that Chevron’s performance had until recently failed to impress investors, but under Wirth’s leadership the company is regaining momentum — thanks in large part to Kazakh oil.
The first achievement Wirth highlighted was the Tengiz expansion, even before mentioning Chevron’s $60 billion lawsuit victory with ExxonMobil.
Chevron posted record oil production between April and June 2025, supported by Tengiz. Over the past year, its shares have gained 13%, the best result among major oil companies.
Profits from Tengiz and other fields have allowed Chevron to move from heavy investment toward a low-cost, accrual model. While in the early 2010s the corporation earned an average of $3.9 billion annually with oil prices near $100 per barrel, last year, with $80 oil, profits reached $15 billion.
In the interview, Wirth stressed that extending the Tengiz contract, which expires in 2033, is one of Chevron’s top three priorities:
We have eight years ahead of us. We've begun working with the Kazakh government, negotiating a contract extension. This is something I'd like to complete as CEO — I don't want to leave and leave this task to someone else, Wirth said.
Analysts call Tengiz Chevron’s main competitive advantage.
The negotiations come after President Toqayev announced earlier this year that agreements with oil majors may need to be revised to secure better terms for Kazakhstan.
Some experts have even suggested that the government not renew Chevron’s contract.
Original Author: Nikita Drobny
Latest news
- Russian Fighter Jet Makes Emergency Landing in Atyrau
- Kazakhstan’s Banks See First Early-Year Profit Drop Since the Pandemic
- Cyclone to Bring Snow, Rain, and Blizzards to Kazakhstan
- Investments, Aviation and Healthcare: Tokayev Holds Series of Meetings With U.S. Company Chiefs in Washington
- Kazakhstan Ready to Send Military to Gaza — Results of the «Board of Peace»
- Ex-Prince Who Sold a Mansion to Kulibayev Arrested in Epstein Case
- Almaty Will Not Build New Sports Facilities for the 2029 Asian Games
- Earthquake Recorded in Kazakhstan in 2020 May Have Been China’s Nuclear Test
- Kazakhstan May Move Constitution Day to March 15
- Kazakhstan’s Cinema Market: Kazakhfilm Fined, Kinopark Under Antitrust Scrutiny
- Kazakhstan Extradites Tax Fraud Suspect from Kyrgyzstan
- New 5.3-km Hiking Trail to Big Almaty Lake Planned for 2026
- Kazakhstan Introduces New Rules for Parcels Ordered from Foreign Marketplaces
- FlyArystan Appoints Executive from European Airline as CEO
- Freedom Bank Cancels Planned Kyrgyz Subsidiary After Shareholder Vote
- Kazakhstan’s Industry Sees Early-Year Slowdown
- Organizer of Multi-Billion-Tenge Online Casino Operation Brought to Kazakhstan
- Parents Oppose a Complete Ban on Smartphones in Kazakhstan’s Schools
- Tokayev and Japarov Exchange Support Amid Constitutional Reforms and Political Resignations
- Oskemen Recorded Over 1,000 Exceedances of Harmful Air Pollutants